10 Seconds: Barak Schmool
Founder of F-IRE Collective (Dave Okumu, Seb Rochford, Basquiat Strings etc), multi-instrumentalist Barak Schmool has been opening community music pathways in London for 25 years now. His Keith Jarrett - I Do Not Speak Italian aura sound video is up there alongside Quincy with Lyrics as my favourite things on the internet.
1. Aka girls (names unknown) - Mo Boma (0'00" - 0'10")
Centre Afrique: Anthologie de la musique de Pygmés Aka (recorded 1972 -1977, released 1978)
"Steve Coleman put me on to pygmy music - this was the first piece I learnt. In the days before the internet, I tracked down every commercially available recording from the rainforests of Central Africa. Time well spent."
2. Doudou N'Diaye Rose - Rose Rhythm (2'25" - 2'35")
Original recording on Djabote (1992)
"Favourite phrase of his recording 'djabote' (family). Sabar is the shiz."
3. Hariprasad Chaurasia - Rag Lalit (0'16" - 0'26")
– Rāg Lalit (1989)
“First note of Harisprasad Chaurasia's bansuri (bamboo flute) is actually longer than 10 seconds, but this note was all I needed to hear before buying the CD."
4. Camarón de la Isla sings Bulerias on New Year's Day (1'27" - 1'37")
Carmen Abenza presents El Abanico on Canal Sur Televisión (1991)
"Camarón de la Isla's emotional commitment to the end of the phrase."
5. Gustav Mahler Symphony No.5 in C-Sharp Minor, Movement 4 (2'50" - 3'00")
Written by Gustav Mahler between 1901 and 1902.
"Mahler's best loved symphonic movement. In context...it is the moment
he ramps up the harmonic speed to grab you by the [*****] and pull."
6. Maurice Ravel - Une barque sur l'océan 3rd piece of Miroirs (2'15" - 2'25")
Written by Maurice Ravel
between 1904 and 1905.
"Ravel captures the sea."
7. João Gilberto - Chega de Saudade (1'35" - 1'45")
– Chega De Saudade (1959)
"João Gilberto, the moment he smiles during the recording, on the words 'abraços e beijinhos'"
8. Zeca Pagodinho - Em Um Outdoor (1'35" - 1'45")
live recording 2012
"Zeca Pagodinho sets up, then doubles down on phrasing ahead of the harmony."